A Night In Bangkok


Arriving in Bangkok
I hopped in a taxi from the airport to the Jeesnail Guesthouse where I would be staying for the night. My room was not ready yet so they held my bag and I set foot to the nearby market to find food to feed my hungry belly. The market was about a 150 meter walk from the guesthouse and rather large containing fresh produce, meat and food stands. I browsed each isle seeing what all the stands had to offer before settling on some vegetarian dumplings and some sort of juice.

A Stroll Down the Oldest Road in Bangkok
Upon returning to Jeesnail my room was ready and I rested up briefly before my explorations. Once I was ready to take on the city I headed out with the help of my hosts directions along with best way to execute my afternoon evening and off I went.
First stop post office to finally send off some postcards. It was a little over 3.22 Kilometers away taking me down the oldest road in Bangkok that I just found stunning. The buildings my have been worn down but they were just so pleasing to my eyes.

It's Not the Weekend
Next stop Catuchak Weekend Market, the largest air-market in the world! Luckily I was told Friday is not considered part of the weekend for this market so I decided to make my way towards Asiatique for the Loy Krathong/River Festival. Thinking I was there with my Loy Krathong that traveled all the way from Chiang Mai I decided to find a place for a drink until it got darker. I found myself at Take A Sit Bar & Chill which seemed to be a local spot and everyone was so friendly. Headed back to where I was a taxi motorcycle pulled over and told me I was not there.

THE RIDE OF MY LIFE
Here's where things got real interesting. I hoped on the back of this taxi motorcycle Loy Krathong in one had, the other holding onto my drivers shoulder to not fall off. Not realizing the road was closed we buzzed in and out of side streets and all through the inner part of town. Places I probably would have never seen. Lanes don't really matter in Bangkok if you're on a motorbike of some sorts, if the traffic is stopped you're squeezing between vehicles and hopping into the lane with on coming traffic. This is quiet the adrenaline rush and gets a little scary when you see an unconscious lady in the crosswalk with blood everywhere and ambulance to the rescue. This was quiet the thrill and far from what I could have imagined before hoping onto the bike one handed. If you want to feel alive and get that blood pumping go to Bangkok and give it a whirl.

Festival Time
Finally arriving to Asiatique I gave the man 60 BAHT and hit the festival. Everyone carrying their different Loy Krathongs, music, the smells steaming from the food stands, artists showing off their best works and clothes galore. In the festival grounds I lowered my Loy Krathong into the Chao Phraya River after a quick photo opt with it all lit up. The waves knocked it over instantly... I'll take it as that all my bad, anger, and defilements along with my apologies to the river took affect immediately.The music was so nice to just sit and listen to, the instrumentals were incredible along with the woman's voice that sang. After sometime of absorbing this buzzing festival I decided to hit take a spin on the Mekhong. You must do this if you go to Bangkok! The view is incredible and you spend about 15-20 minutes on it with at least once where you sit for a decent time at the very tip top viewing all of Bangkok.


The Artist

I decided to call it a night and get some food before headed to rest my head. Along the way to food I ran into a man that complimented my tattoos as he passed me on his bike earlier. I stopped to purchase one of his lovely hand made bracelets, you should check his stuff out if you get a chance Alex Gust.









Beers With the Locals and New Friends
About a kilometer away from my place I popped into this restaurant for some stir-fried veggies and a beer. I was asked to join some locals about my age once I was done eating where we shared beers and some fun conversation. This conversation really was made possible by one of theirs decent english and Google Translate. We exchanged info incase I return to Bangkok so they could show me around and called it a night.
It is always so amazing when your expectations of the evening get blown out of the water with so many surprises you could have never imagined.
 
Recommendations:

  • Hop on a motorbike taxi if you are feeling on the wild side
  • Download google translate it will help with communicating when you don't speak the language
  • Take a ride on the Mekhong
  • Don't try to go to the Catuchak Market unless it's Saturday or Sunday
I hope you like that adventure! I sure did. Give me a follow to be updated on my adventures to come and travel tips. See you next time here on Finding Me Wherever I Maybe.
Namaste

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Island of Koh Larn, Thailand

Vida Guesthouse, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Elephant Haven, Kanchanaburi,Thailand