Koh Pha-ngan

Chill Reggae Vibes of Koh Pha-ngan
My time here was spent relaxing and soaking up the island vibes. So are you ready to spend time on a beautiful lush island with some reggae feels? 
If you travel from Pattaya like I did it takes you 28 hours including layovers by bus, sleeper train, and ferry. I would suggest leaving from Bangkok if you aren't already in that Southern area.
Here is how I did Koh Pha-ngan
Where I Stayed
On way here I talked to a few people about what the island was like to stay. After some suggestions and thought decided to head to the Northern part of the island, Haad Yao, where it was much quieter and relaxing. Upon arrival the ferry drops you off in Thong Sala which is the Western coast and you'll find all the big, bumpin' parties here.
Ibiza Bungalows
I chose this place based off a suggestion from this gentleman that I met on the sleeper train that has been coming to Koh Pha-ngan for the last 40 years. My first two nights here totaled to 1,000 BAHT, which included my own private bungalow with a garden and beach view, hot shower, free WiFi, a fan, hammock on the deck and 300 feet from getting my toes in the sand! Along the beach you will find plenty of massage spots, along with places to get food, drinks and just chill out. They also have a bar that is black-lit on the beach that opens in the evening.
Wang Sai Gardens
One of the locals I befriended owned Wang Sai Gardens so I decided to make the switch. The last 3 nights I spent here totaled to 1,200 BAHT, including a fan, private bathroom with hot shower, free WiFi, and a hammock on the deck. The Wang Sai Waterfall is on the property, the Climbing Bar offering live music every Tuesday night, zip lining, rock climbing, and more. The beach is about a 5 minute walk where you can get more massages, walk the sand bar to Ko Ma, and grab food along the way. Another peaceful area.
What Did I Do?
Haad Yao
This beach is quiet peaceful. If you want to do it the way I did, head to the most Northern part of the beach to get a massage while you listen to the waves crash, it is one of the most relaxing things I have done in my life. I enjoyed some light yoga and then turn into a beached whale. There was a cute shop across from the 7 eleven on the main road where I got the most gorgeous red dress and a couple of lovely scarves! You'll find locally made clothing and jewelry here. When the sun was setting it was the best to enjoy a delightful dinner on the beach as I became mesmerized by the sunset. You might also see the local beach pig wandering around, don't pet her though.
When I was headed here I thought it was just a viewpoint, but it turned out to be much more and a place I went to everyday until I left. The owner Tim and guitarist of Thai Tea reggae band. He became one of my friends who introduced me to many more amazing people who all took me around Koh Pha-ngan. Tim also cooks up one of the best meals you'll ever have. Relax here listening to tunes that are on or if you are lucky Tim and/or some of his buds will be having a jam sesh while you kickback in a hammock looking over a stunning view. This a reggae themed bar with super chill vibes. 
Wang Sai Waterfall
Another great day spot, I accessed through Wang Sai Gardens(which I mentioned above). From the Climbing Bar it is 300m. There several pools leading up to the waterfall I swan in and one that is actually at the waterfall allowing you to let the water pour down on you. The water is a perfect temperature. Lounge around the rocks and soak up the oasis.
Haad Mae Haad/Ko Ma
This beach 5-10 minute walk from the Wang Sai Waterfall. I found more places to get massages, which I totally took advantage of. The best part of this beach is being able to walk the sand bar to the small island of Ko Ma! When the tide is low the sand bar makes a clear walk way right to it's beach where you can lay out your towel or mat and relax in the sun or under some trees. Even when the tide is high you can still walk out there, you'll just get wet up to your knees. I loved looking upon this island, watching the incredible sunsets and doing my morning yoga followed by some laying out in the sun.
Biggest Yang Na Tree
I was taken to this incredibly large tree that is home to some bees(which I saw none of probably cause they are so high up). It was a fun spot for a photo op and pretty neat to see stare upon its glory.
Viewpoints
There are countless viewpoints that will made my jaw drop. I walked to all of them so if you do so get ready for some steep trekking and lots of sweat. You can also stop along your way to different locations for a peak at what it has to offer(be noted that most of them do have a bar and restaurant situated there). One of my other favorite ones other than Sabai was Mae Haad Treehouse Bar! I enjoyed a drink while soaking my feet pool staring off to another breathtaking view of Koh Pha-ngan(the pool is also available to swim in). If I return I may stay in one of the bungalows they have to offer.
Night Life
My first night was a Friday and one of the longterm residents of Ibiza took me to the Rasta Home. They had killer live reggae music that I danced your booty off to, meet new people, and ended the evening relaxing in a hammock while soaking up the vibes.
Half Moon Party
I intended on attending this but instead got dinner and chilled with one of my new friends. On Koh Pha-ngan there is always a party in the South. There is the Half, Full, and Dark Moon parties along with the Waterfall Party. They include lots of neon colors and paint, with various electronic music. Plan to party until sunrise!
A laid back bar with yummy food. This cute bar and restaurant you can play pool which I indulged in once or twice. There is live music offered every Sunday that I enjoyed chillin' out to. I made friends with the owners through Tim and this was a spot I went to every night until I left. You'll find lots of locals who are very friendly and will be happy to see you.

Leaving this amazing island was a bummer but I know I will return. You can get the best of both worlds, tuck yourself away to relax and go to the other section of the island to get some wild party in. I did not intend to spend 5 nights here but that is what my mind and body needed so I pleased myself. When going to this lovely island give yourself more then two night and do it the way you are feeling, have no expectations and don't make plans, just go with the flow.
Kob khun kha for stopping bye as always. I love to hear your thoughts, questions, and experiences so drop a comment bellow. Watch out for my next post on my wild 2 night stay inAo Nang, Krabi, Thailand.
Namaste,
Finding Me Wherever I Maybe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Island of Koh Larn, Thailand

Vida Guesthouse, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Elephant Haven, Kanchanaburi,Thailand