A Place of Eyegasmic Wonder: Randyland

The days plan was to checkout Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History, but upon arrival I found out that they sadly were not open on Tuesdays. Instead I checked out the Conservatory, had a perfect lunch at Unique Eats with my friend and decided to head to the famous Randyland. My friend had told me briefly about it when I was checking out a poem attached to her fridge a few nights back.
From Oakland neighborhood I caught bus 74 that dropped me off a couple blocks down the road. It was a warm, lovely, sunny November day.
When headed up Arch St from W North Ave it was not hard to miss Randyland as I approached! My eyes did not know what to focus on and I hadn't even set foot into the gates of this colorful outdoor art gallery yet! Within my first couple steps in I began having an eyegasm from all the sights and wonders!
There were bright colored chairs going up the walls, set up in lounge areas and throughout the yard. Multi colored painted doors and plastic toy dinosaurs climbing a sand pile. The fence had though arrow signs that point you in various directions painted "Hello" in various languages with the flags of the countries the hello originated from. Painted mannequin heads filled a table and the Christmas radio station was playing. There are decommissioned rocking horse scattered throughout and you can hear the various windmills lining the entrance gate blowing in the breeze.
I enjoyed sitting in the various chairs soaking in the psychedelic atmosphere. There is a 'Worry Box' there that I also took the time to drop my worries in.
Admission is free, but you can find a donation box to help fund this masterpiece.
Randyland isn't just a giant whimsical outdoor gallery but a big piece of the neighborhood that Randy cares so much about. I love that it has been made with recycled paint, materials, stuff he found in alleys, and various used items that may have otherwise been tossed into the garbage.
If you find yourself in Pittsburgh or live there and have not yet been I highly suggest to make a stop at this magical place!

Until next time, stay creative, stay inspired, and know that you matter.
Namaste,
Finding Me Wherever I Maybe
Instagram: hollytalksaton

Click here for the Randyland website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Island of Koh Larn, Thailand

Vida Guesthouse, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Elephant Haven, Kanchanaburi,Thailand