The Commute to Chiang Mai, Thailand

Mural in the Bangkok Airport

This journey began from my home on Mt. Hood, Oregon to Chiang Mai, Thailand has taken me 32 hours and 37 minutes, 3 transfers, about 11.5 hours in layovers, and 2 different airlines.
From Portland which for me is a very easy and relaxed airport, I flew Alaskan Airlines to Seattle where I transferred to ANA Airlines to make another transfer from Tokyo, Japan. The gentleman I sat next to was very kind and informed me which taxis to avoid and which ones were the best. They feed me 2 meals that met my diet restrictions and gave me as much sake as I wanted until lunch and dinner service was through. All that sake led me to have a tipsy yoga bathroom sesh on that 10 hour and 20 minute flight. 
When arriving in Tokyo it was around 16:40 their time and the airport was very alive. For me it was easy to get to where I would catch my next flight. There was lots of options for food, gifts, and duty-free purchases. I made a stop at a food court after finding my gate to enjoy some sake and a Vitamin Water costing me $10.33.
From Tokyo I took ANA Airlines to Bangkok, Thailand, again receiving the same treatment as the last flight. This time I sat next to a couple that was from Bangkok that were more than gracious to give me recommendations and tell me about their beautiful home. My flight was delayed which brought me there about 00:00 instead of 23:10, which I didn't mind, seeing how it shortened my almost 9 hour layover to only 8 hours. 
Unfortunately this is not my favorite of airports, I could only find duty-free shops and with it being so late I did not feel like going and exploring here yet to possibly find a bunch of places closed and/or too far away. Customs was closed as well so I had to wait until 05:00 in order to get to my gate. I wandered around the airport looking for anything besides a duty-free shop, once that failed I did some yoga and found a place to sleep. The chairs don't have armrests making it easy to find somewhere to sleep instead of the cold marble floor. I was happy that I snagged the pillow and blanket from my last flight making it easier to fall asleep after pulling my beanie over my eyes. Customs was a breeze and probably only took me about 10 minutes to get through. 
From there I hopped on Thai Airlines to take me to Chiang Mai, Thailand. Getting on the plane I began to start feeling sick, the 55 minute flight I tried to sleep the feeling away. When awaking on arrival the feeling was lingering. The flight was smooth, the colors were gorgeous and fun.
The airport was easy to navigate had lots of things you need upon arriving to a new country. I got a 15 day phone card with wi-fi and 100 minutes of calling for $20 USD. The ATM spit out the BAHTs
from my card for a small fee.
Walking out of the airport with no set destination other Old City in mind I walked down the sidewalk found a taxi for $150 BAHT which is about $5 USD. Catch my next blog for my first days experience. Lets say it was not ideal.

Airlines
Alaskan Airlines: Has always been one of my favorites to use for traveling and have had the least struggles with. No meals provided from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA.

ANA Airlines: I would highly recommend! The seating for economy is very cozy and spacious. You have a screen giving you access to many, many movies and if you forgot headphones there are some already at your seat for you. The food was bland but it was nice to have the option to somewhat choose what I was getting. They do not provide free wifi but that's okay for me, it allowed me to read, watch a couple movies and chat with my new friend. I do have a feeling I may have gotten food poisoning from them... Check out my next blog for more details.
One of the meals from ANA Airlines

Thai Airways: Very colorful, provided a small snack and water, and very polite staff.
Thai Airways plane
Airports
Portland, OR: It is big but very easy to navigate, lots of charging stations, many options for food, drinks and gifts. The temperature is comfortable and the staff is friendly. Free wifi is provided.

Seattle, WA: Similar to Portland with size, being easy, friendly staff and again many options for food, drinks, and gifts. Free wifi is provided.

Tokyo, Japan: I had trouble at first finding where to go but the staff was happy to help. They provide free wifi and lots of food, drink, and gift options.

Bangkok, Thailand: Not a lot of staff so I had trouble finding where to go. I did encounter a slight language barrier but another person flying helped me by taking my ticket to this machine where it tells you where to go, how far away your gate is, and an ETA. You are only allotted 2 hours a free wifi a day, after that I believe it would have been 50 baht. There are no restaurant or places to get food and drinks other that duty free shops that I could find. Customs is breeze to go through. Not my favorite of airports.
Inside Bangkok's airport

Chiang Mai, Thailand: Departing it was smooth, took me right to baggage claim, lots of things for when arriving into the country for the first time, and very polite staff.
View from the plane landing in Chiang Mai
Recommendations

  • Bring a small blanket and pillow with you. You never know when you might need it for your layover or if somethings happens where you get stuck in the airport longer than expected.
  • Bring some snacks and drinks. Shops don't stay open 24 hours in most airports I've gone to, some terminals/gates might not even have the option of places to buy food and drinks. It'll save you money as well.
  • Having a book to read, downloading music and podcasts will help pass the time.
  • Bring cash and exchange it there so you avoid the small fee.
  • Bring your own meals... I believe again I may have received food poisoning from ANA Airlines but I cannot confirm that.
  • Buy the phone cards, they install them for you, it's cheap and you can use the internet anywhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Island of Koh Larn, Thailand

Vida Guesthouse, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Elephant Haven, Kanchanaburi,Thailand