Volunteering at Meow Island Malaysia

(Medicine for Violets ears & getting love from 1 of her friends)
July 1st, 2018 I arrived in Pekan, Pahang, Malaysia to do my first ever workaway project. I would be spending the next week in a half at a non-profit animal shelter called Meow Island. Meow Island is owned by a very kind and caring man named Luke who does all that he can to make a better life for the sick and injured street cats by taking them into his shelter. To be honest I did not really know what to expect or if this was going to be a good fit for me.
(The kittens becoming more active)
Upon arrival 1 of the 3 arrivals picked me up from the bus station. I had enough time to set my bags down before he was taking me all over the place showing me things, telling me a bunch of information, and introducing me to the others. It was rather overwhelming to be honest since I had just spent half the day traveling. Next thing I know just him and I were in the shelter and he was training me on the PM duties. Once this was all over I laid in my room feeling overwhelmed and questioning if this was right for me. After a nice shower I decided to see the project through and not give up.
In the morning I was trained on the AM duties, this went rather quick since they all wanted to rush to go check out the mosques. Luke's sister picked us up around 11am and took us to the 3 different mosques in the tiny town of Pekan. This was my first time going to a mosque and they were so gorgeous. We also got to see where a couple of the past kings and their wives were buried. It was all a pretty neat experience.
We went back to the homestay then myself and 2 of the other volunteers headed out to go to the market. On our way out Naoko a new volunteer had arrived so we let her set her things down and she joined us. They showed Naoko and I where everything was, which was conveniently close and then we headed back to get ready for the PM duties.
(Cleaning the goats shelter)
Before leaving to the PM duties 2 of the 3 older volunteers left to the island for their last night in Pekan. Leaving 1 older volunteer along with Naoko and I who had just arrived. This made me quiet nervous to have so much responsibility with so little training.
(Group parenting)
The next morning of the 3rd the last volunteer woke with us to show us some of the medicine rountine and how to open the 1 Ringgit shop before she took off to catch her plane home leaving Naoko and I as the only volunteers there.
(Luke, Naoko, and I waiting for the boat to Meow Island)
Our work around the shelter included throughly cleaning daily to prevent the spread of diseases, administrating medicine as needed, feeding and watering, taking the dogs on a walk, bathing Mio twice a day and of course giving lots of love to everyone.
(Black Ninja right after being released from quarantine)
This is was a lot of work for just Naoko and I but we go it done. Several times when Luke was feeling well he would come in help us which was great! For a week was just the 2 of us and we worked really hard but always had a smile on our faces. I couldn't have asked for a better new friend to have their than Naoko. Every moment with the animals was lovely, I felt good being able to make a difference in their lives.
(One of the sick kittens who thankfully survived)
Not everyday is easy emotionally though... In the 11 days I was there we lost 6 kittens and 1 full grown cat. Days like these are really mentally challenging. I found myself the next day after a loss not wanting to enter the shelter in fear that I would find another fur friend that had passed. When these times came I had to remind myself that they were given a life that they never could have had cause of Luke. Instead of alone and suffering on the street they got to spend their final days in a beautiful sanctuary with lots of love from their cat friends, Luke, and all the other volunteers. 
(Survivor right after being released from quarantine)
My favorite moments was when we were able to release cats from quarantine after they had gotten better! These moment were truly heart warming.
(Mio's bath time)
Luke was a fabulous host as well taking Naoko and I to the various markets, inviting us to attend his nieces wedding, and taking to his family's Hari Raya open house where we enjoyed many delicious dishes along with dance with him, his family, and the new volunteer arrivals. He did't always feel well due to his condition and needed rest but he did an amazing job at making me feel at home.
(Hari Raya open house)
Each animal there had their own personality there that really showed. You can feel the happiness and love at Meow Island Shelter. Despite the lack of resources and funding Luke does the best that he can to give a new life for these street cats. My next trip to Malaysia I will sure to swing by and volunteer again where I know I can show up unannounced to an open door with many smiles.
(Chillin with Malur)
If you are interested in volunteering at Meow Island you can contact them via Workaway.info or message them on their Facebook page. Plan to stay longer than a week, trust me you'll want to cause a week is far to short and you'll feel so sad to go.
(Mio got hit by a car and can't use her back right leg & is blind in her left eye. This doesn't stop her from being one of the happiest and spunkiest cats I have ever met)
Thank you Luke, his family and friends, and all that have and will volunteer for Meow Island. Words can't describe the beauty that is going on there to make such a positive impact in this world. To all the volunteers in the world you are incredible and thank you for your selfless acts. Lets all do our best to do good in this world to make it a better place.
If you enjoy my blog give me a follow to get notified on my travels, tips, and fun facts. You can also follow my instagram for some sneak peaks and adventures I don't always blog about at findingmewhereverimaybe.
Thank you so much for your love and support,
Finding Me Wherever I May Be

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Island of Koh Larn, Thailand

Vida Guesthouse, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Saying Goodbye to Malaysia