Why I Fell in Love With the Philippines

There is so much we don’t know and so much we take for granted. There is no way to sum up the Philippines cause each city, province, island, etc is so diverse from food, dialect, culture, etc. Some of the things I’ve learned is that no matter what you got you must make the most of it. Love the ones you have around you and cherish your time here. I find when I complain now about the insignificant things I feel like a brat. I have been spoiled even when times were rough. The thing is, we all have rough times but how we choose to deal with though times is what really matters. Here poverty is real and it’s not just being pushed in the shadows like it’s done in many first world countries. It’s there front and center but you don’t here anyone really complaining. They take care of everything they have and I mean everything. From their homes no matter what that may be, it is kept tidy, swept and a sense of coziness. Belongings are well taken care of and appreciated. My eyes swell with tears and my heart is warm with the amount of love here I have truly felt, each one of my friends and the people I have met truly made me feel at home. There has been no hesitation to bring me into their homes and feed me whatever they can whether it’s fruit, a big delicious freshly cooked meal because I came over, juice or candy, they wanted to give me something, spend time with me, make sure that I know I’m apart of their family now and they truly are excited for when they can see me again(this is to anyone that steps into their lives). Families really love each other and will do anything for one another and truly mean anything! Giving up their lives to make sure their whole family is taken care of. They leave their kids behind to work in the city or overseas. There is still danger that lurks here as with anywhere. Manila is the 6th most dangerous city in Asia, listen to all the warnings the locals gives, don’t take it lightly. Philippines is now a home away from home that I was so sad to leave but am happy for when I can return again.
Here are some of my adventures while in the Philippines:
Arrival
My journey started in Manila consisting of eating, yoga, and trying to readjust my sleep schedule at the Airbnb(Cristina's Place). The area was Sampaloc which isn't where most tourist would like to stay and I most definitely did not leave the building at night. 
In though couple of days I had made a friend and we decided to check out 2 museums, the National Museum of Fine Art and the National Museum of Anthropology. They were quiet fascinating and very large in size! After checking out the museums we were ready to grub out and escape the hot, humid, summer day. We went to this delicious Korean restaurant and later on that evening went to B-Side for Reggae Sunday. Funny thing was the band wasn't even reggae but they served Long Islands in teapots and had some rad street art.
Binmaley
The next day I hit the road North to meet with a friend of a friend named Mai. She made reservations for my first night at a hotel in Lingayen since I'd be getting in late and she had some harvesting to do. The next morning though after I had walked the beach for a bit her husband dropped her off so we could meet and grab a cold drink. After checking out we went to her place in Binmaley where I would spend the rest of my stay. 
I helped Mai and her husband harvest their fish pond that evening which you can read all about by clicking here. The rest of my stay played with her adorable nieces nephews, we even celebrated her 7 year old nieces birthday. I learned to make chicken adobo and pancit, "sang" karaoke at a local tea shop with Mai and my new friends. Spent time with the family and watched the sunset on the beach. The most heart warming of all is becoming apart of Mai's family, I am so grateful for accepting me into the family and our time together.
Summer Capitol of the Philippines
I made a failed attempt to see Whang-Od which led to an interesting evening spent in the Summer Capitol of the Philippines, Baugio that you can also read all about by clicking here. After that trip I made one last stop in Binmaley to get my stuff and say my final goodbyes before catching a bus to Laguna to see a friend.
88 Hot Springs
The trip to Laguna started off great but when I hit my final transfer station I spent hours waiting to board a bus! This usually wouldn't bother me but this was my only night to spend there including most of the following day. I finally got there spent a brief moment with my friend before going to sleep.
The next day we spent the whole day lounging around 88 Hot Springs soaking in the various pools, having a delicious lunch and getting some much needed relaxation. This place was absolutely gorgeous! Well worth checking out if you are in the area.
Photo Shoot
The following day I had a photo shoot in Manila so I headed back to the city to prepare and get some beauty sleep. I spent 8 hours in the studio but man it was fun. The preview I saw of the photos are going to be breath taking.
Cebu
May 30th I caught a flight to Cebu City to stay and hang with another friend of a friend Irene and her husband Ryan. We had been talking for months beforehand and it was exciting to finally meet! They took me right into their homes and we had an awesome time.
We ate Halo Halo, checked out Little Amsterdam a gorgeous garden tucked away in the jungle, ate more delicious food, and had lots of laughs.
Mama Mary & Moalboal
The most unforgettable experience while on the island of Cebu was the rainy 3-4 hour motorbike ride to Moalboal. We kept our spirits high and were determined to go camp on the beach. On the way we stopped at Mama Mary Shrine which is absolutely stunning! The architecture of the church is incredible! You can really feel the intense energy walking around there as well. We didn't see Mama Mary due to the large line of people who have came to make the pilgrimage but the exterior was more than enough. We hit the road with all three of us on the motorbike once more. On arrival to Moalboal beach we had found out that beach camping was recently banned and it would be 1,500PHP to stay in one of their rooms. 
All agreeing that it was a ridiculous price we turned around and made a stop at a little Sari Sari store to have lunch on a deck under a tree. The family was so kind and offered for us to camp in their yard which was a quick walk to the beach. 
After getting set up Irene took a nap while Ryan and I went to the beach for a short bit before coming back to bring the day to an end. 
The next morning we all suited up and hit the beach to relax in the sun and splash around in the water. Once we had our fill we went back to camp, packed our stuff and went home.
Alto Peak & Ormoc, Leyte
Later that night June 4th Ryan and I took a night ferry from Cebu City to Ormoc on the island of Leyte(this is where Irene and Ryan are from). 
Here Irene's brother Chris and their friend Budoy picked us up to take us to Ryan's moms house to prepare for our grand adventure... Summiting Alto Peak! 
This was one of the most challenging experiences of my life and a must read about by clicking here
Before hand I learned to wash my clothes by hand, walked a suspension bridge and gazed out at the city from Mount Carmel.
Our journey took 2 full days bringing it to an end with drinking Tuba(coconut wine), me trying balut(a delicacy in the Philippines) which I rather climb Alto Peak all over again then ever try balut again, but hey, at least I gave it a try. We stayed up late laughing, dancing, sharing stories, and listening to music until the wine made us dizzy and our eyes couldn't stay open any longer.
My final day in Ormoc I met all of Irene's family who were all so sweet and kind and ate some yummy fresh seafood. While all this was going on Chris and Budoy were killing a chicken, cutting up fresh papaya, and making one of the best dinners I've had on my travels. Before catching the night ferry we sat around playing Black Jack with the losers having to either ask a question, tell a story, or make a statement in English, lets just say they all got severe nosebleeds(saying in the Philippines about a lot of English) from all the English by the end. Everyone accompanied me to the ferry and said our goodbyes until we meet again.
Tour A, El Nido, Palawan
I fell asleep to wake up back in Cebu June 9th where Irene picked me up to prepare for yet another journey. We packed our bags and set flight to Palawan where we had a quick but fun trip in El Nido, you can read all about our travels on Tour A by clicking here.
My Final Days
June 11th we were back on the plane and headed to spend my final moments in Manila. She stayed with her cousin that night while I stayed at a dorm and planned out where I would stay in Bali. The next day I met up with her and her cousins to go check out Venice Grand Canal and eat my final meal in the Philippines.
Irene and I went back to our dorm, I packed my bags and we sat there on the bench in the hall for my last few hours then I gave her my last hug goodbye, eyes full of tears and took off to the airport.
Recommendations:
  • Listen to the locals about safety precautions
  • Watch out for snatchers
  • Try Balut and Tuba
  • Don't do just the touristy things, try to get to know the locals
  • To avoid as much rain go between December and April
  • Bring your own waterbottle
  • Say no to straws
  • Try Halo-Halo
  • If going to Palwan stay 3+ nights
  • A week is not enough, 3 weeks didn't even feel like enough
  • Be safe
  • Have a wonderful time and smile
I fell in love with the Philippines it's a home away from home for me now. I could say it is one of my favorite places in the world thus far. It was great to not just do the "pretty, touristy" things but actually experience some of the real Philippines. I hope to be able to return sooner than later, maybe during the holidays. Salamat  all that brought me into their homes and made me apart of the family, for my friends and the time I had. The Philippines as a whole is truly incredible.

I am happy you all could tune in again or for your first times. In the future I am going to try to make my blogs more short and sweet with the occasional lengthy one. I am hoping to focus on individual activities and experiences instead of cramming them all into one blog. Please share your thoughts and comments bellow. If you like what you read go ahead and give me a follow. Feel free to share with your friends and family as well.
Stay safe wherever you may be,
Finding Me Wherever I May Be

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Island of Koh Larn, Thailand

Vida Guesthouse, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Saying Goodbye to Malaysia