Failed Attempt to See Whang-Od


  The Build Up
If you know me up until my trip to the Philippines one of the things I talked most about was how I was going to see Whang-Od, the legend, and to get tattooed by her or at least meet her! My friend Robe who had educated me on her and has been tattooed by her gave me all the instructions on how to get to her small mountain village in Northern Luzon. I spent 3 nights in Binmaley I was ready to make the journey there. The night before packed my sack, said goodbyes to my new little family I had made there and at 04:00 Mai and her husband drove me to the van station where I took off North to Baugio anxious and excited that I was finally on my way! That I was really doing it.
The Defeat
At about 07:00 I had arrived in Baguio and set foot straight to the bus terminal to head even further North. This is when the trouble began... Upon arrival the 8am bus was SOLD OUT! Say it isn't so! The next one wasn't until 13:30, I bought my ticket anyway even though I knew I wouldn't be arriving until about 19:30 and might not be able to go further than that due to night fall.
I found a cafe with wifi to have breakfast and figure out what my plan of action would be. I talked to a few of my Filipino friends including Robe, along with checking out a few blogs about others who had visited her and this is when I started losing hope. Come to find that since Rob saw her, Whang-Od has gotten quiet popular(not too surprised) and because of lovely ability to share EVERYTHING via internet these days(which I love/hate) it has made finding her much easer, blowing up her little village and the surrounding area. To top it off it was summer vacation and the weekend, the worst time to try to go with a tight schedule. With my limited time I finally accepted defeat. My eyes teared up in that little cafe because I wanted nothing more on this trip to visit her. I really can't blame anyone except for myself, this is something that needs more planning plus research and can't just be a one night trip. 
Staying in Baguio
I went back to the bus station and luckily was able to sell my ticket to someone else wanting to go to the next town and decided to try and make the most of Baguio. At Burnham Park I booked an Airbnb and wandered around this beautiful area still feeling emotional. Several hours later I had found out that my Airbnb could not accommodate me, so I booked another one and continued to explore this giant park. After several hours, exhausted, depressed, and hungry I cancelled the air b'n'b request due to no response and just so badly wanting to find somewhere to lay my head and sleep away the rest of the day.
Oh My Gulay
Needing food I found a vegetarian joint on google maps called Oh My Gulay(vegetables) and set foot there. It took a little searching to find but when I did it was well worth it and made me smile a bit. It sat at the top of this shopping center over looking the lush jungle, wooden, open windows to let the breeze in and just too darn cute, plus a portion of the proceed went towards the local artists there. Right when I arrived the rain started dumping making the view and my dinner even more pleasurable.
Worst Night in the Philippines
Through Agoda I booked a room at the Le Monette Bed & Breakfast. Even though it was raining I made the 20 minute walk there to try and help clear my head. Upon arrival I was exhausted and ready for a bath. I got checked in and when brought to my room very disappointed. There were countless things wrong with it and nothing like they said in the description, which I could write whole other blog on how terrible this place is but I'll leave it at that to not waste space on this one. Feel free to comment or message me if you'd like more details.
Literally mentally and physically exhausted I laid in my room and bawled my eyes out! I began to wish I had Juku(my fur baby) there to cuddle cause she always made things much better and this made me cry even harder. I know a lot of this came from the lack of sleep and if I wasn't so tired I probably wouldn't have been so upset but this was my first hard day since leaving the states and I felt 100% defeated and that the world was against me. One of my friends did their best to console me on the phone but I just ended up crying myself to sleep. 
A Much Better Day
I woke up the next morning puffy eyed and ready to do a few things and head back South. After getting ready and I took off the Strawberry Farm in Trinadad. It was a huge farm with many different things growing but not very many strawberries. I wandered the market, got some strawberry jam for Mai and her family, my friend in Laguna, and my friends I'd see in Cebu. I also got some Strawberry wine which I don't suggest getting if you don't plan on drinking it that day/night. Mine ended up leaking all over my bag due to a lid that doesn't fully seal!
Not too impressed I hopped on a jeepney to the Valley of Colors. What a wonderful sight this was! The Valley of Colors is a hillside of houses painted an array of bright colors that you must take a little bridge to if you live or are staying there. The sight brightened my mood, I took some photos of it and kindly asked someone to take my photo on the bridge.
From there I walked about .5 km to Bell Church which brought be into an even better mood. This gorgeous Chinese church had a lovely view, beautiful statues, and wonderful architecture. The energy there was peaceful and soul soothing. I allowed it to recharge me then hopped on a jeepney to Burnham Park, did one last walk through on my way to the van station and headed back to Binmaley.
This time I stayed awake for the drive and it was quiet lovely, winedy roads through the lush jungle, down the mountain until it started to turn back to the fish farms that lead me to the end of my journey.
Not everyday is a good day, even when you are traveling. I try not to keep expectations and have an open mind to possibilities but sometimes I do create expectations and sometimes like this scenario I am left disappointed and heartbroken. In the future I will return and better plan my trip to Whang-Od. I will also spend another night in Baugio with a better mood so that I can enjoy the Summer Capitol of the Philippines and what it has to offer.

Recommendations:
  • Try not to have expectations, keep an open mind
  • Remember that things don't always work out
  • If you plan on visiting Whang-Od create a plan
  • Visit the Valley of Colors, Bell Church, and Burnham Park
  • Don't buy the wine from Strawberry Farm
  • Absolutely DO NOT stay at Le Monetter Bed & Breakfast
If you would like to get updates on new blog posts click the drop down box on the main page of my blog. You can find some more photos and stories of my travels on my Instagram findingmewhereverimaybe. I do enjoy you reading my blogs and all your support. It's my pleasure to share my stories with you.
Wishing you all luck on whatever journeys you are on,
Finding Me Wherever I May Be
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Island of Koh Larn, Thailand

Exploring Chiang Dao Cave of Wat Tham

Vida Guesthouse, Chiang Mai, Thailand